CITY DRAGONS ROAD TO MACAU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
CITY DRAGONS ROAD TO MACAU

Daily training diary for paddlers of City Dragons Dragonboat club.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gotta start somewhere

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

Gotta start somewhere Empty
PostSubject: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:12 am

Aiming at twice a week, more if i can get the time, i figure if i weigh less that the Morovian sweep, it wont be my fault if we cant beat them!! Razz
I have no idea how far i am suppose to be rowing in the 20min set? so given i have just started any guiden ce greatly appreciated Big Pete or Ryan?
Sessions Designed by Ryan.
Session 1:

· Light row on the Concept II rowing machine for 5mins.
(866m @ 27spm?)
· Stretching.

· Squats, warm up set then x2 sets x20 reps each set.

· Push ups x3 sets x20 reps each set.

· Lat pull down warm up set then x2 sets x20 reps each set. weight set at 50? was hard but not too hard, its a start i guess?

· Sit ups x2 sets x20 reps each set.

· Cardio Concept II rowing x20 mins.
(3370m @27spm?) certainly sweating at the end!!! Shocked

like i said, gotta start somewhere, youy never know i might actualy get fit!!

DC.
Back to top Go down
Peter Skene
Admin
Peter Skene

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 2:25 pm

Steve, I was really excited to see yr entry mate. Im glad you took the bulls by the horns and have jumped on the band wagon to get trim and fit.

Firstly with the Erging its all about making each stroke the most effective stroke. I worked out from yr 20min time you were pulling an avg split of 2:58 / 27spm

On the rowing machine computer screen you should be taking note of the AVG SPLIT/500m it will be the figure in the middle of the screen, it will vary with each stroke as you apply more or less power.

You want to keep this consistant.

Now .....the honest truth Smile........pulling 2:58avg for 20mins / 27spm isnt effective. affraid santa

Next time you jump on the erg, I want you to make your session more effective.......but with baby steps, dont try to change the world in a day cheers

Important notes to improve:

Take note of yr spm (top right of screen)......rate 27 is too high for the avg split yr pullin.Gradually bring that avg spm down and develope more power per stroke.
Try to lower the avg spm by using 70% leg drive......push hard with yr quads, and take a slower recovery. Dont pause at the end, the stroke should be fluent and smooth.

Keep yr eye on the AVG SPLIT figure...keep it consistant.......has to be under 2:58avg each with each stroke.

Remember the erg stroke consists of (LEGS/ARMS/ARMS/LEGS)

ie: Firstly leg drive(body angled inward toward the chain stay, shins should be vertical.
Arms stay locked out until yr legs are nearly straight after the drive
Then the arms pull as the lower back engage and leans back approx 20-30 degree,
Pull the handle into the sternum, only light contact
Then, the body rocks forward as the arms push away from the body, once the hands pass the knees, only then do the legs start to bend s you slide into the beginning catch position

Good luck, have a look at YOU TUBE....there is some great vids on erg technique mate......seriously, they are worth their weightin gold if you wanna improve on the machine

You will find once you start to do this regularly and develop an effective stroke you will get 5km in 20mins @ 20spm. I have complete faith in ya mate. This wont happen in one go though!!!
Back to top Go down
https://citydragons.forumotion.net
Commando

Commando

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 5:29 am

cheers Excellent job Mr Da Costa!!!!

Keep it up, you have inspired me more that you think Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.platoontraining.blogspot.com
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks Pete, yeh i kinda figured i had no idea Laughing
I'll work on my technique, no point doing it unless i get maximum result out of it.
Small steps but will work on it. Mind you i can hardly walk after the squats Ryan made me do! Evil or Very Mad
No pain no gain? yeh right!
Session 2 will be interesting, thanks for the support, i cant go as often as i need to but will do this as often as i can.
See you all on the water. Paddles Up! Cool
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: erg settings?   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 am

Hey Pete, what should the erg be set to, there are numbers on the side 1 to 10? last time I used it, it was set to 10?
Back to top Go down
FISH

FISH

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 am

Hey hey hey,

Very good job mister, I like it cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.citydragons.com.au/
Peter Skene
Admin
Peter Skene

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 am

Hi Steve, 10 is too high.....I usually have it on 5-6. That is a happy medium for most ofthe rowers out there.

Remember, its all about explosive leg drive and slow and controlled recovery Cool
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 am

OK np will give it a go this arvo
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am

ok better session today, no squats!!! Laughing
Session 2:

· Light row on the Concept II rowing machine for 5 mins.

· Stretching.

· Lunges warm up set then x2 sets x 20 reps each set with 2.2 kg dumbbells

· Shoulder press machine warm up set then x2 sets x20 reps @18kg.

· Seated row warm up set then x2 sets x 20 reps @18kg.

· Sit ups x2 sets x20 reps each set. Hate situps.

· Cardio Concept II rowing x20 mins. OK much better technique i think, well it felt like it!! I did 3900m @ 20spm, the split seemed to be around the 2.38-2.42? Does that sound right Pete? I dunno but man i sweating by the end but it did feel better? more legs, advice please!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Peter Skene
Admin
Peter Skene

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 11:50 am

Thats a great improvement Steve.....7 less strokes per minute and a big increase in pace!!!

I worked it out as: 2:33.85 so 2:34avg

20min.....3900m.....2:34avg / 20spm

Good job mate.

Now, next time you do the workout you can check yr avg split after you finish the session. Make sure you selct work out first and nominate a 20min work out so it will come up in the results later.
Then after you finish hit MORE OPTIONS, the hit LOG CARD then you can bring up the latest sessions rowed on that machine. It will give you yr total avgs for the session.

Also, maybe its just me, but if I do weights before I erg I suffer if I want to get a decent erg score. So I always do the erg first and then the weights. Thats just my experience.

Keep up the good work cheers

Heres a handy erg calculator:

http://www.machars.net/
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:27 pm

ok no worries, yeh i was knackered by the end of it thats for sure, I'll check with Ryan if there was some logic/madness to why he has me doing erg last, probably punishment for being slack all these years and for calling him Softie Laughing
I guess the challenge now is to go further each time, that will be a stretch!
Back to top Go down
keifa

keifa

PostSubject: impressed   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:05 pm

very nice stevie...

nice work... stay disclipine and stay focus...

remember keep a good diet too, dont want to waste all the good work ur doing..

again nice work..
Back to top Go down
Peter Skene
Admin
Peter Skene

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 4:34 am

I wanna see yr abs by the time nationals comes around Cool

Sylvester Stallones diet to quick abs:

No processed foods, eat everything as it comes in nature......meat and veges all the way!!!!......and plenty of water, thats the key to getting ripped beyond belief Exclamation

You can do all the training in the world but if yr diet isnt up to scratch, your body will only feed off the shit you put in instead of burning its fat stores if you eat healthy. Cool
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 4:43 am

I'll give it a shot thats for sure. What we need is every guy at training and get some power in the boat, our women are committed and always show up, now the boys need to show they are committed too. I want to see 2 boats min every training.
Back to top Go down
FISH

FISH

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 4:50 am

You r right Steve,
I'm dreaming about this couple of weeks already Neutral
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 am

I've been in the boat that won Nationals, been top 10 in the World, now I want CNY, States, Nationals, Worlds! all in the one year!! and this team can do it, IF everyone wants it. Keep up the training Fish! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
FISH

FISH

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 5:09 am

I'm there with you guys
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 10:03 am

Friday, only 20 min erg 4124m 2.25.49/500m
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:48 am

3km power walk, this work crap gets in the way of training!! gym tomorrow training Wed, i hope there are a few DC's at training, time to up the anti, we are close but not close enough
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

poxy work. only fit in 10mins on erg 2095m @20spm, so 2:23:2 split & shoulder press 23kg 20x2 reps
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptySat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am

2139m 20spm 2:20:25 split 10 mins
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:50 am

quick erg before training 2136m @20spm 2.20.5 500/split the solid training, this team is starting to impress with the fitness, might have to talk to the coach about ramping it up, seems everyone is coping too well Wink
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 1:24 am

Friday session Lat pull down 20@5 20@6, seated pull 10@9 10@15 shoulder press 20x2@23 erg 5min @19spm 2.23.3 split 1047m
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 10:55 am

5 min erg warmup
Shoulder press 20x2@23kg
chest press 20x2@23kg
lever incline row 2x20@15kg
lat pull down 2x20@5(?)
5 erg 2.19.6 split 19spm 1094m
Back to top Go down
sdacosta1

sdacosta1

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:22 pm

vitabrits skim milk breakfast
yoghurt lunch
3km power walk lunch
Hydroburn shake before workout
erg machines broken!! bastards
shoulder press 2x20@28kg
chest press 2x20@28kg
lever incline row 2x20@20kg
lat pull down 2x20@6(whatever that is)

chicken chili and basil and rice dinner(well just about to eat it!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gotta start somewhere   Gotta start somewhere Empty

Back to top Go down

Gotta start somewhere
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
CITY DRAGONS ROAD TO MACAU :: CITY DRAGONS ROAD TO MACAU :: BLOGS-
Jump to: